Friday, July 23, 2010

Yarmouth Clamfest and BOOGIE BOARDING


The Yarmouth Clamfest was on tap this weekend and we went up with the entire Wheelworks Racing women's squad (along with our fearless male companion, Dan Watts). The Clamfest is a New England classic and we were all VERY motivated to show the locals what we are made of.

The race is a technical circuit race with a steep kicker of a climb about 1Km from the line, but a sweet downhill sprint finish. We had a great team discussion before the race and each laid out the best way we could individually win and then came up with a good plan that everyone was excited about. Needless to say, we were pumped to get the show on the road, literally.

Unfortunately, Hope crashed coming into the hill on the first lap and despite a valiant effort chasing the peloton, her bike was a bit too out of whack to allow her to reingage. (Her shoulder was separated in the fall, but she's so tough she's planning on bouncing right back on the bike this weekend at the Tour of the Hilltowns.)

Meanwhile, Anna was patrolling the front like the master breakaway artist that she is and was in practically every move of the day. Go Anna! We were tired just watching you work your magic!

In the end, it all came back together and Nicole and I were ready for the sprint. I wasn't sure on my chances, so I decided to make sure Nicole was in good shape and then jump really early. If my move worked, I could surprise the bunch and cross the line solo. And if it didn't and they chased me down, Nicole would be there to show them who's boss in the sprint.

Lucky for me, my move worked! And I crossed the line first, for my first pro win! Very exciting! And Nicole took the field sprint to get us two on the podium. Everyone worked so well together it was incredible. I am so pleased to be on a team with such smart and skillful women!



Of course, we went to a brilliant dive bar/grill called 'Lobsters in the Rough' for some excellent post-race food and then hit the beach for some seriously competitive boogie boarding. Thanks for a great weekend Wheelworks Racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment